Packaging plays an important role as far as the presentation and security of the product is concerned. Different type of packaging is used for different types of products. There is a lot already written about packaging and you will find a lot of blogs, books and articles on the topic. Our idea is to facilitate our readers by providing a summarized version of all those articles, books and blogs. As humans it would not be possible for us here to mention all the aspects of packaging however we will surely be able to give you some major insights on the topic.
Advantages of Packaging:
Packaging differs from product to product hence the advantages may differ as well. However there are some benefits related to packaging which are common no matter what the product is. These benefits are as follows
- Packaging can serve as a very effective measure as far as prevention is concerned
Packaging plays a major role in the security and protection of the product
- According to many “ Packaging means economy”
- Packaging can play a major role as far as decreasing the product cost is concerned
- Packaging can differentiate your product from competitors
- It can provide useful information to customers regarding the product
- It can create an emotional appeal
Categories of Packaging:
There are two basic categories as far as packaging is concerned, these categories are as follows
- The first category can be termed as primary packaging. This packaging refers to the material which has the ability to hold and envelop the product. The unique feature of primary package is that it has straight interaction with the contents.
- The second category can be termed as the secondary packaging. This packaging is highly effective in the prevention of pilferage.
- The third category can be termed as Tertiary packaging and this packaging is in most of the cases utilized in Bulk handling, transport shipping and warehouse storage.
Packaging and Labels: Purpose
Some of the major objectives behind packaging and labels are as follows
- The basic objective is to provide physical protection to the product which is inside the package
- Some products are so fragile that mere interaction with oxygen or dust can damage it; hence a barrier has to be maintained. Of course this barrier is created via packaging.
- Another major purpose behind packaging is containment for example a single package having 1000 pencils is more feasible then 1000 single pencils packed individually.
- Packaging plays an important role in convenience as well; this convenience can be more related to display, opening, dispensing, recycling, reusing and stacking etc.
Though packaging is very useful however nowadays there are many laws related to it as well, for example the material that should be used for packaging has to be environment friendly etc. These laws need to be followed.
There is a lot more which you can learn about packaging; we hope that this article can serve as a good educational tool for the beginners.